BUSINESS MANAGER BOB WARD
ANNUAL MEMBERSHIP PICNIC – SATURDAY 9/30/2023
More plans are in the making for this year’s Annual Membership Picnic. It will be held on September 30, 2023 starting at 10 AM. Notices have been sent to our core picnic committee members and volunteers from last year to begin planning the details of this event. If you are interested in helping the Picnic Committee this year, call Office Manager Reyna Jimenez at 916-539-0412 or email via firstname.lastname@example.org
IBEW DAY IN THE BAY
There are still spots for the Annual Local 340 Fishing Trip which is set for Saturday, June 24, 2023. The meeting time will be 6 am at the Berkeley Marina. Spot on the boat will be $200 per person. If interested or for more information, call Jason Prasad at 916-801-6221.
WOMEN’ COMMITTEE BINGO NIGHT
We hope everyone who attended this event enjoyed themselves and we look forward to holding more Women’s Committee events in the near future.
NEW MEMBER ORIENTATION
The last class on April 11th was such a success. It is such a good sight to see so many new members attending and asking many excellent questions at this class. Our next class will take place on July 11th here at the hall at 5 PM. Notices have been sent to those members who were unable to attend our April class. We encourage spouses to attend as well. Please mark your calendars and be sure to attend this very informative class.
NEBF – RETIREE TEMPORARY RETURN TO WORK NOTICE
To help with the Journeyman Inside Wireman and Sound & Communication Installer manpower shortage that all IBEW Locals are experiencing, NEBF has once again changed the working rules for Retirees. If you are currently retired and would like to go back to work for about 3 months or perhaps take some short calls, this temporary Return to Work Amendment changes the suspension rules for certain eligible retirees. Following are the features of the amendment:
- The temporary amendment is effective from January 1, 2023 through December 31, 2023.
- All normal and early retirees with a pension effective date of December 2018 or earlier will be permitted to return to covered and contributory employment only and will be permitted to work for up to 600 hours during the above period without a loss of NEBF benefits. This amendment applies only to the NEBF Plan. (In order to receive benefits from other funds it will depend on the rules of those funds.)
- Once an individual has worked for 600 hours in covered and contributory employment during the term of the temporary amendment, the individual will no longer be able to take advantage of this amendment and the normal rules (permitting work in the electrical industry for less than forty (40) hours per month without a suspension of benefits) will apply.
- Disability pensioners are not eligible (the existing rules applicable to disabled pensioners remain in effect).
- Only retirees who return to NEBF covered and contributory employment will be able to take advantage of this amendment – this amendment will not apply to persons who work for covered employers where no NEBF contributions are required or to persons who work for non-covered employers in the electrical industry.
IBEW Founders Scholarship – For all IBEW Members (not dependents)
The IBEW Founders’ Scholarship honors the dedicated wiremen and linemen who organized the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers on November 28, 1981. Each year the officers of the IBEW are pleased to offer its working members scholarships on a competitive basis. It is hoped that the awards will not only contribute to the personal development of our members but also steward the electrical industry that our founders envisioned. The award is for $200 per semester credit hour at any accredited college or university toward an associate’s, bachelors or postgraduate degree in an approved field. The maximum distribution is $24,000 per person over a period not to exceed eight years.
Any member interested in applying for the IBEW Founders Scholarship can do so by going on-line at www.ibew.org. Click on “Resources and Links” at the top, scroll down to the box labeled “Founders Scholarship”. You will receive information on this scholarship as well as be able to download the application. These applications can also be picked up at the Business Office. This scholarship is for any member who has been in continuous good standing and paid dues (without an Honorary Withdrawal for the four years prior to May 1, 2023). This is not a scholarship for your dependents. All applications and required information must be mailed directly to the IBEW in Washington, DC and must be postmarked May 1, 2023.
Active Member Sanamjeet Nurpuri card no. 7360267 passed on March 23, 2023. He was a 15 year member and 42 years of age.
Our thoughts and prayers go out to the family and friends of those recently passed.
Monday, May 29th – Memorial Day
Tuesday, July 4th – 4th of July
SACRAMENTO MEMBERSHIP MEETINGS – 1st Wednesdays @ 6PM – 10240 Systems Parkway, Sacramento 95827
REDDING UNIT MEETING – 1st Wednesdays
Chico Union Hall @ 5:30 (Odd Months)
Redding Union Hall @ 5:30 (Even Months)
For Northern Area business and then join in the Sacramento meeting @ 6PM via webinar
SOUND & COMMUNICATIONS UNIT MEETING – Quarterly on the 4TH Tuesdays of January, April, July & October at the Hall – NEXT QUARTERLY S&C MEETING Tuesday July 25th @ 5:00PM – Note: Seven (7) members needed to have a quorum.
CIVIL SERVICE UNIT MEETING – Quarterly on the 3RD Thursdays of January, April, July & October at the Hall. NEXT QUARTERLY CIVIL SERVICE MEETING Thursday July 20th @ 5:00PM – Note: Five (5) members needed to have a quorum.